Sunday, October 12, 2008

Yay! The phone's for me!


I got a phone call today from Private Spyder. Around 4 pm the phone rang and when I saw it was a pay phone calling my heart sped up. "Hello?" And my favorite voice said, "I hoped you'd be home." And I started crying. We only had eight minutes to talk. It's our cat's birthday today, so I told him that we'll be having tuna for dinner later and I'd give the furball a big hug for him. He told me all about how he qualified at marksmanship. For the first part it was raining really hard and he got 25/25, so he said he probably won't be a sniper, but that he didn't want to be, anway. He said one of his drill sergeants is a sniper and that he has a hard time having a normal relationship with people. The second part was clear, perfect weather. No distractions, so Spyder's nerves were through the roof. He took his first shot and realized he'd forgotten his ear protection. And that distracted him enough that he got 19, so he passed. Now he won't have to do basic training over again. We told each other how much we missed each other and loved each other. And he said when he gets back we'll buy me a really good rock hammer. (He's so cute.) And then we were out of time and said goodbye and everything was quiet again. But, since I talked to him I've felt an overwhelming relief. He's alright. And his hearing is doing even better. He says he can hear more than he can't hear. He sounded really good. And he said a really big letter is on it's way. So, when that arrives, I'll post it here. :)

No comments: