Friday, October 17, 2008

Letter #7

Oct. 10, 2008 9:27 pm
There's evidence of your influence, even here. There's this orange-stripey Tom that wanders around the CTA, meowing at soldiers. He seems to pay particular attention to me. It's strange. The lunch staff at the DFAC feed him, they call him "XAK" (Zack). They had to tell me the spelling.
*sigh* So much to tell you, sweetie. I will never be a sniper. I shot 25/40 on my first pre-qualification, (23/40 is qualify) 25/40 on my second pre-qual. The next day was qualification. I shot 19/40. But, you get 2 chances. (Mind you, I have to qualify to graduate. If I don't graduate, I DON'T COME HOME, AND I GET RESTARTED. (DO NOT WANT.)) So, on my 2nd round, I was so nervous I forgot my earplugs! (Wait! This turns out to be a blessing!) I fired my first shot. With my good ear now ringing, I'm more focused on my lack of hearing protection than on the task at hand. So by the time I finished, I didn't remember shooting. Then the D.S. in the tower called through the speaker: "Lane 1: Fail. Lane 2: Fail." etc. until "Lane 8:........ Qualify." I was so distracted by the lack of ear-pro that I shot 28/40. I qualified marksman! (Nowhere near sniper level.) But that's fine. I don't want to be a sniper. I just want to graduate and get my ass home! I miss you so much!
I'm going to go to bed for now, but Germany and I have CQ tonight. So I'll try to write more then.
Oct. 11, 2008 1:06 am
Hey, baby. About that marksman stuff. I was what they call a 2nd time Go. Yes, I qualified, but I am not now and can never be a first time Go. There's a little less respect in it. Anyway, yesterday morning we were forming up in the CTA and my D.S. is standing at the front of the formation. Suddenly he points and says, "You. Come here." So the soldier in front of me moves. "Not you, dumbass. Behind you." Meaning me. Normally, when the D.S. calls you out, it's not a good thing. So, I hurry my ass up there, fully prepared for a verbal lashing. Conversation went as follows:
D.S.: Are you sad, soldier?
Me: No, Drill Sgt.
D.S.: You looked sad, just now.
Me: I think I'm just trying to look serious, Drill Sgt.
D.S.: Did you qualify yesterday?
Me: I was a 2nd time Go, but yes, I qualified, Drill Sgt.
D.S.: Don't be so hard on yourself. You'll get better.
Me: Yes, Drill Sgt.
D.S.: Now get away from me.
These are very not-typical words from him. Then, later in the day, we are doing barracks maintenance, when he walks in. At Ease is called, and he tells us to Toe the Line (it means you stand at attention with you feet on the line that goes around the room, with your back to your bunk). This is usually a bad sign. Toe the Line is what preceded the sand castle. But he moves around the room and pulls 6 of us out of line and tells us to report to the Battalion Desk in clean ACU's, re-shaven, full perfect uniform. So we get down there when we are supposed to, and he's there to meet us. Turns out we were the new Flag Detail. (When flag comes down, we remove it from the flagpole and fold it.) Apparently, this is a huge honor. When we were done, another D.S. asked why he chose who he did. He said, "Let's just say that I notice effort. You six are the hardest-working. Not necessarily the most successful, but what you are able to do, you put your heart and soul into it. That's what a soldier is all about. I notice these things." It was cool.
8:30 am
Hey. I just did flag detail again. We have it for a week. It's going to be weird when I get back. I'm growing accustomed to the whole 3-meals-a-day concept. (I may eat breakfast more often.) I also discovered that I like grits with maple syrup in it. I just had chow, if you couldn't tell. The food is good, I just wish I had more time to enjoy it. I'm taking you out to dinner for like a week when I get back.
We did the Mk19 and 50 cal. simulator today, and GFT (ground fighting tactics). The Mk19 sim. sucked. Not accurate at all.
8:06 pm
If you can't come out for graduation, that's ok. I'd see you at Christmas. But, if you are able to make it, that would be wonderful. I don't even know how it would work out. They'll probably give me more info. later. We'll get it figured out. Tomorrow is Sunday, so that means barracks maintenance, personal maintenance, (wall locker) and letter writing/church, if I feel like it. I might go, just to see what it's like at a military installation. There's only one other Mormon here. We might go together.
Oct. 12, 2008 6:44 am
We've got a little extra time before first formation, so I figured I'd write a little. I love that dry-shaving doesn't hurt me. Because other guys see me and are like "how the hell can you do that? It doesn't tear up your skin?" "Nope." Fun. I finally broke down and got some shaving cream, though.They made one of us our Platoon Guide. It's hard on us older guys, but even more on him, now. Everyone gives him shit about being on a power trip, when really he's just trying to keep things running smoothly. There's a couple other guys I know going to Ft. Rucker for AIT. It'll be nice having a few familiar faces around. One of those guys and I have plans to go to like Olive Garden or something after Basic and just enjoy a leisurely meal.
2:26 pm
I went to church today. A couple of the guys were curious. When we got there, they asked if I had scriptures. I said I didn't and they gave me some. They gave a Book of Mormon to each of the curious guys, too. They're little and red! One guy started reading it, too.
I got off the phone with you a few mintues ago. Talking to you is so bittersweet. I love hearing your voice, but it makes a lump in my throat, and an ache in my heart. You are never far from my thoughts. In fact, on pre-qual. day, the buses wouldn't arrive for some time, so they were shuttling about 20 of us at a time in 2 2-ton trucks. About half our platoon broke out our waterprrof ponchos and sat down in the field. (Lightning kills more privates than anything else.) We were there in heavy rain for about an hour. I intended to be miserable. Then I thought of you and I in the rain. And even though you weren't there, I loved it. The truck came too soon, then. Even the very thought of you makes everything beautiful.
Anyway, I should wrap this up. PT test in the morning, you know. Need my sleep. I'll write again soon.
Spyder

He didn't actually end that abruptly; he wrote me a little love poem and then said he needed to wrap up. I'm very lucky to have him. Even when he's gone, he makes things easier when life gets hard.

No comments: