Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Letter #5


Sep. 30, 2008
I got your second letter already. You're fast! I actually got it last night, but didn't get a chance to write back. We did the training simulator again. I was a little worried, because a lot of soldiers were having issues. They set you up with 27 rounds, split into 3-shot cycles. The goal is to get a tight 6-shot group. Most of the other soldiers ended up using all 27 shots. They had to go to the back and try again. Their targets looked like (drawing of a target with shots all over the place). My first 6 shots looked like (drawing of a target with a cluster of 6 shots right in the center). I had the 3rd best shot group in the platoon. Not bad.
My ears have been giving me trouble ever since the LRC. We had to go under water, under a bunch of walls. No complaints, but my left ear started leaking fluid yesterday, during the ruck-march. And all through IED Response Training. And now, well past 24 hours later, it's still leaking. I suspect an ear infection. I can't go to sick call for it, though. If they look at it and anything is discovered to be off, like a perforated ear drum or something like that, it could be cause for medical discharge. So I'm taking care of it the best I can on my own. No worries, though. If it really gets bad, I'll go. But I'll wait to cross that bridge. I hope you'll understand when we go swimming and I don't get in. I might stay in the shallow end.
So the other guys have discovered my ability to draw. I've been designing tattoos for some of them for a couple of days now. It's been nice drawing again. Anyway, I'll try to write more tomorrow.
Oct. 3rd
I went to sick call yesterday. I got antibiotic drops and pain killer drops. (The pain killers don't help.) My ear is red, tender, and has all but swollen shut. It sounds like I have an earplug in all the time. Lucky me, I have a male nurse, 3 EMT's and 2 paramedics in my platoon. They keep tabs on it to make sure it's healing ok. I've already thought about how I would react to only having hearing in 1 ear. I'd be okay with it. As long as I can still hear you breathe. And sing. But no worries. The doc said I should be just fine. We have a 5-mile ruck tomorrow, and we have to take 5 squad support weapons this time. 2 M249 SAWs and 3 M240B's (pigs). They weigh around 20 lbs. each, so we're going to trade off every 10 min.
I got back from sick call just in time to zero my M16. My Drill Sergeant was not pleased with my late appearance. Then he saw my ear and goes, "Oh. Can you still wear earplugs?" "No, Drill Sgt." "Good. Not like Al Quaida would give you a time out while you put them in, anyway." "That's fine, Drill Sgt. M16's aren't that loud, anyhow." "Are you saying earplugs are for sissies, soldier?" "Not at all, Drill Sgt. Just stating that I'm a bad ass." "Excellent." He's pretty cool. Oh, and I should be in white phase by the time you get this. Not sure what my privileges will be, though. I know I'll get a little more personal time. That'll mean more letters for you.
We did more sim. work today. This time pop up targets. I shot 37/40. Expert (37-40), Sharpshooter (33-36), Marksman (27-32). (Expert=me.) Not too shabby. Anyway, I should wrap up for now. I'll finish this tomorrow if I can, and get this sent off to you. I love you, babe.
Oct. 4, 2008
Hey, sweetheart. We just completed the 5 mile ruck. It was fairly brutal. I came out fine, just sore. One guy took a face dive into the road. Some other guy broke his nose. Kinda sad, considering all we were doing was marching. But, as someone pointed out, some people aren't used to moving while carrying a lot of weight. They don't know how to shift it. The guy that face-planted is an Officer School Candidate (OCS). He's a damn smart guy. I'm sure he understands all the physics and crap, he just doesn't get the application part. I'm amazed at how uncoordinated some people are. Anyway, when we finished the march, we ended up on the M249/M240B range. (We didn't have to carry them on the march.) We got to fire them. And I'll tell you, the M249: Not so impressive. Fairly inaccurate. Me no likey. However, the M240B: Wow. The only way I can describe it is that I will now always be ever-so-slightly aroused by the smell of gunpowder and the sound of heavy weaponsfire. It's that much fun. Google/youtube it and you'll see what I mean.
My ear is still swollen, but doesn't hurt as much. Good sign. (Still can't hear out of it, though.) It's just annoying.
We have this "event" tonight called the "soldier show." I assume a competition of some sort. I don't actually know. After it's over, I'll be able to tell you. It starts in about 25 min., so I've got some time.
I'm also wondering if there's any way you could send me some Books of Mormon? A few guys found out I'm LDS and are curious. It might be possible for you to get the little red serviceman editions. No hurry, though.
Anyway, babe, I'm gonna go for now. After the soldier show, I'll tell you what it's about. Luvu.
I'm back. Turns out it was a military/civilian charity concert. A group of talented soldiers did a set list of popular songs. The only 3 I cared about were "Crush crush crush" by Paramore, "Apologize" by One Republic, and "Hey there Delilah" by the Plain White Tees. (I know you hate that song, but it made me think of you.) I got to have pizza, energy drinks (only one), lots of other goodies. Of course, we got smoked after. Meh. Getting smoked doesn't bother me much, now. I kinda saw it coming. It's why I didn't indulge too much. The music was damn good, though. And no one here has heard of Motion City Soundtrack, 311, or anything! They ALL listen to country, rap, or R&B. Like, that's IT. Sad.
We ARE in white phase now. But I'm still unsure of privileges. I'll find out soon. One of the Drill Sergeants said NG soldiers have been paid, so that'll be good. And I FINALLY get to go to the PX tomorrow. I need things. (Not much.) In fact, I should still have enough cash to be ok. We'll see.
Anyway.. I love you, babe. Think of me often and squeeze the fur off Miles for me. I miss that boy.
Spyder

To be "smoked" in the army means to do pushups until you are physically unable to do any more. Or to do pushups until the drill sergeant gets tired. (And in my defense, anyone who has been on my college campus in the last year and a half would hate "Hey There, Delilah" because of all the idiot girls wandering around singing it.) If you guys would please pray for Spyder, I'd appreciate it (even if he is a badass and has accepted permanent loss of hearing -- he's so cute). Thanks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great hearing how John is doing I love reading the blog! He's lucky to have you for his wife keep up the good work! It was nice to see you again.
Jim

wisp said...

Thanks. I've missed stopping by to see you guys. We'll need to make it a habit. I'm glad you like the blog, too. That will make John happy. :)
-Christine

Anonymous said...

My brother, the deaf badass!!! LOL Anyway. He is so animated. I love hearing all about it from his point of view. Kind of a Calvin and Hobbes rendition of Military Training. Thanks so much for keeping us up to date. It is a way to feel close to him. ~twin