Sunday, September 7, 2008

Phone Call


Spyder was at last able to call me last night. He's slipped into his West Virginia accent a little bit from being around so many soldiers from the South. He's still in reception right now, getting his paper work through and being issued his new uniform. He said he'd been going to school and getting good grades. The guy on the bunk below him is 37 and his wife and kids are waiting for him at home. It seemed to help Spyder feel better that other guys were homesick, too. He said another guy was asking everyone what they were doing that time last week. Spyder told him that he was avoiding saying goodbye. We couldn't talk very long because the other guys were waiting to use the phone, too. But, he's okay and he's doing well. His return address will change in a few days, so he'll write as soon as he knows what it is. I was just glad to hear something. The first week or so is really busy, according to my dad (he fought in Korea during Vietnam). Things will develop a pattern soon. I'll let you know when I get the first letter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wisp - Thanks for the update. We here in the SW appreciate seeing how our GI Guy is doing and how you're faring. Love the anime pictures - someday you'll have to teach me how to do that. Glad all is well. Let us know if you need us... dad

wisp said...

Thanks, Pop. If my Chemistry gets out of hand you may get a frantic call one evening. ;) I think John had a good idea for me to keep up his blog this way -- he knows how wrapped up he can get when he's in a focused situation, especially when his time is so budgeted. I tend to do the same thing with school. It's really good to know that you guys are there for me. Thanks. It means a lot.
And I have never been this excited for Christmas in my life! :)